A few folks today have been asking about how to get started with Windows Azure and/or SQL Azure. So here is my quick 3 steps to get you going.
- Make sure you have an OS that supports development!
You can use Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2. My recommendation is Windows 7 64bit.
- Install the Microsoft Web Platform Installer from http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx .
- Once the installer loads – click Options:
- Click Developer Tools:
- Then click OK. You should now have the Developer Tools Tab:
- Under Visual Studio Tools, click Customize, then click Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 v1.2 and Visual Web Developer 2010 Express:
- Now click the Web Platform tab, and under database, click customize. Make sure SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio Express is clicked:
- Now Click install and confirm any options. Not only will the tools you selected be installed, the installer will also install any dependant bits too!
- While that is installing, navigate to here http://hmbl.me/1ITJKZ or here, download and install the latest version of the Windows Azure Platform Training Kit. There are some cool videos to watch to give you an overview.
- Once everything is installed, open the training kit and work through both the Introduction to Windows Azure and Introduction to SQL Azure lab.
THIS POSTING IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITH NO WARRANTIES, AND CONFERS NO RIGHTS